My client has developed his tune by making a number of adjustments, such as adding layer of percussion and tidying up the bass line so that the music is clearer. He says he will have the final thing within the next week, and in the mean time he has provided me with the work in progress version and an additional ambient version.
My progress today consists of independently colour grading my music video. I am doing this shot by shot so to tweak the colours individually and accurately. In this way I am avoiding generalised colour balance of the music video, e.g. darker shots have being taken into account so that they fit in with other shots and don't look out of place.
I am looking for a slight sincere effect, and mainly to create a dreamy tone. The thing I aim to make the most consistent has to be the temperature; in order to achieve the overall look (a winter look), the majority of shots will need blue highlights/midtones to create a cold atmosphere. I am also adding elements of red to weigh it out the blue, creating pinks and purples, to suit the winter dusk. This should bring out the colours in the sky and make the overall look quite beautiful.
One important thing I have learned today is how to compare effects that I have put on a clip to how the clip originally was. It may sound incredibly simplistic, but it was all down to me clicking and dragging a dotted box over the still image on the preview pane. Initially, I had no idea what the strange box was; now I am glad that the penny dropped.
I saved my work as a new project, the colour graded version, so not to override my original piece. Most of the grading is subtle, just so to eliminate the raw edge of the footage.
What's next
Next, I will hand over this colour graded version to DJ PLAY and ask him if it reflects his overall vision. If so, I shall keep it, if not, I will proceed with one final edit to suit his taste.Lastly, I will be meeting with my friend on the weekend to discuss aspect ratios, as I was not pleased with the size of the video when I rendered it last time.
Time spent: 4 hours
No comments:
Post a Comment